Since I last posted I have learned to make Maki Sushi at home and I have been experimenting with different kinds of rolls. I do not eat the raw fish kind. It just does not appeal to me.
Here are some photos of my attempts:
and then I keep forgetting to flip the rolls over and they turn out like this:
Here are some tips when making Maki Sushi Rolls:
- Make the rice in a rice cooker and use short grain rice, either brown or white
- Use the back of a spoon dipped in hot water to spread the rice on the Nori seaweed paper
- cover the sushi mat in clingwrap to keep it clean, remove clingwrap after each use.
- If you don't have cucumber, use zucchini.
- when cutting the rolls, dip knife in hot water.
- Use Tamari instead of Soy sauce, I was told it is gluten free, but check the label!
I only use the faux crab sticks in my rolls, but if you choose to use fish, make sure it is good quality, sushi grade fish.
The last batch I made were filled with avocado, mango and zucchini with fresh basil leaves. They were De- Li-Cious!