Wednesday 18 January 2012

Red and White

Yesterday Igor introduced me to week 4's program. Igor warned me that the exercises would be different and that the tempo of the exercises would be different. We were slowing down the speed at which we did the reps. I was worried that it was going to be quite difficult...so I prepared myself for the worst.

We started on the first set of exercises and after each exercise Igor said, "Not heavy enough." So that meant that the next round through the set the weights were increased. Again, Igor said, "Not heavy enough!" (Sigh, that is what happens when you are honest and don't fake huffing and puffing while doing a set.)

Third time around with the increased weight, wow...much tougher. It was a good introduction to what I will be doing next time around. I am glad we started off with lighter weights and added more weight, rather than try a heavier weight and have to decrease them due to my lack of strength. This way it was a positive adjustment.
So on the first set of dead lifts I did something like 45 pound, second set 65 pounds and on the last set, 75 pounds! yikes! Igor was happy! I was finally huffing and puffing, no faking required.
One thing about training with anything in life is you have to be honest with yourself. If you don't do your best, push it to the point of fatigue, then you are really doing yourself a disservice. When you have had a good work out and you have worked hard, as much as you might feel like a lump of jello, you will feel good and have a sense of accomplishment. You owe it to yourself to make the most of that personal attention and guidance you get in the gym with your trainer.

Now I have started eating Quinoa, and some have said it is tasteless. I disagree.
If you use some imagination, get both red and white Quinoa for variety, you will learn to love it. If you are eating instant oatmeal in the morning you are really not getting the benefits that a whole grain cereal will give you.
(Left) Red whole grain Quinoa added blueberries and walnuts and a little Stevia. I had it hot with goat's milk.

Quinoa is an ancient seed which has the best amino acid profile of all grains and it is gluten free. Be sure to was the seeds and rinse them in cold water before preparing. It really only takes 15 minutes to prepare this delicious and nutritious and very satisfying breakfast.

(Below) White Organic Whole grain Quinoa with berries and pumpkin seeds, sweetened with a little bit of stevia. Most grocery stores have stevia nowadays. I use it, but sparingly.
Quinoa provides fibre and is rich in Iron too.
Quinoa is very versatile. You can have it instead of rice with beef and vegetable stew too.

Use it instead of couscous too, the texture of quinoa really is very pleasing.
It would also make a great accompaniment to curry.

The trick is to keep your plate colourful and full of texture. That way you will not bet bored and feel like you are " on diet".




Whether savoury or sweet, I am loving my quinoa at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments.