Friday 22 June 2012

Ushering Summer with Seasonal Delights


Summer is officially here and it is time to enjoy the local produce. Ontario Strawberries are in the stores and you can stop by the farmer's markets or farms and support out local farmers. I have been making a point of getting local produce instead of those other strawberries we get the rest of the year around, and let me just say, Ontario Strawberries are amazing! So sweet and tasty! No sugar needed.

There's nothing nicer than a cool morning out in a pick-your-own field and there are many around. More about PICK YOUR OWN here.

A friend delivered a basket of mango (Mangifera Indica) to me and they are so fresh and colorful. In addition to being rich in pre-biotic dietary fiber, vitamins, minerals they contain poly-phenolic flavonoid antioxidant compounds. For the men, Mango is rich in Potassium. They are also my favorite fruit.  To learn more about their nutritive value, click here.

This was my breakfast this morning:

Greek Yogurt, mixed nuts and dried berries, pumpkin seeds and diced fresh mango.

Delicious and so beautiful, they say if food looks good, it tastes better too and I concur.

Now there is a trick to slicing mango. Mango cutting directions here: SimplyRecipes

With the official start of summer being blazing hot in Toronto I hope that you stayed cool. Our family had smoothies for dinner one night and I added Kale to my children's custom made smoothies ( One child likes banana, the other does not, so I had to make them each a separate smoothie.)

My son said: " Mmmm mom, this is delicious!"

One Victory for MOM!

With my husband away in Russia for almost 3 weeks I will have to get over my fear of propane tanks and use the BBQ in his absence. If I am remotely successful in conquering my fear of lighting up the BBQ, I will post some summer BBQ ideas. With my husband away it is easy to say, "While the cat is away, the mice (me) will play" and eat badly, since I am not cooking for fewer of us. It is easy to justify taking short cuts. Particularly since I really miss him (yes I know it sounds mushy) but he is a great guy. Also when I am stressed I tend to reach for the sugar, well, the OLD ME did, and I am not going that route. I decided that I want to eat extra well while he is gone and today I resisted having candy with the kids. They are allowed one tiny candy after dinner on weekends...and I resisted the urge to tuck in too.

Two Victories for MOM!

Since I am going to be holding down the fort, so to speak, I need to bring my A-game to the dinner table to stay healthy and strong. Being a temporary single parent has it's stresses, and I take my hat off to those who have to live as singe parents all the time. One more week of school and then they will be home and the summer vacation adventure begins.

Enjoy the summer and remember to stay hydrated.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments.