Sunday 22 July 2012

Not your Vegan BFF's sort of CHICK PEA Salad


You have heard of mushy peas in a can, so have I and I have not been able to pluck up the courage to try them. I have been known to boil them and add chopped mint leaves, otherwise known as "Minted Peas." I hope you are not like my little cousin, who when told as a kid that he should eat all his peas because it would "put hairs on his chest" and from that day forward never again a pea in any shape or form did pass his lips.

It is Pea Season in Ontario and I was given a brown bag of freshly picked peas. They are good just to crack open and eat as a snack, but lately I have been doing something a little different with these little green packages of sweet of Energy, Lutein, Fibre, Vit A, Vit C and Iron.

Instead of the usual preparation method of boiling them I have been extracting them from their shells and tossing them straight into a salad.

I was at a bbq a few weeks back and someone had brought a salad that consisted of fresh raw green peas, bacon bits, cucumber and mayonnaise. I don't remember exactly what the rest of the ingredients were, but for this first time in my life, peas were viewed as a salad ingredient and not just a side to roast beef. Why not add these little lutein bundles into my salads from now on?

 I sliced up some skinless chicken breast and added it to my field greens. I sliced up some red peppers and tossed them, together with some pumpkin seeds into the bowl and VOILA! My chicken salad was enlivened by peas and I had a little chuckle when I realized that my salad was CHICK- PEA salad.

NEW!
If you would like to sign up for my consolidated Newsletter and get updated on all the latest posts, articles and events please click here.

HEADS UP!
Igor's Newsletter this week is going to be on a great topic, one I asked him to explain, so if you want to have it in your inbox, click here and ask him to send it to you. Please mention that you heard about it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments.