Monday 30 July 2012

When You Just GOTTA Have Sushi

Everyone else is doing it. They even have brown rice Sushi and Maki rolls nowadays. Us hunters and gatherers also need to have some every now and then. Only problem is brown rice is not one of the things on my "to eat" list. So here is the thing, I want sushi. I am rather a picky sort of sushi eater, in fact if you were to be quite accurate, I really only like the Maki Rolls and the vegetarian ones to be exact. (Unless they have smoked salmon in them) I am rather clueless to the whole art of Sushi and what their names are, all I know is that I like the one with avocado. Okay so I also like the one with Mango and Tempura, but do they HAVE to use rice all the time?

When the hankering for sushi strikes, what to do? I must admit that after attempting my first Maki Roll I almost gave up. I persevered and I think with a bit of practice and I may just master the art of my kind of Maki Rolls. The best part is that they do not contain rice at all and I used Tamari which is a gluten free soy sauce. Ginger is great for the digestion, but the pickled ginger may contain sugar so keep an eye on the ingredients. If you can't find a sugar free alternative, then just make sure you don't eat too much of it. 

I used Buckwheat instead of rice in my rolls and added cucumber, carrot and avocado. After a little bit of practice this is how my version of Maki Rolls turned out. I got better at it as I went along and I will have to take care to cut the roll evenly, but you know it is not bad for a first try. If I can do it, so can you! In fact I am pretty sure you will probably do a better job! I have even seen Maki rolls so cute that I had to take a photo of them, these are not mine, but made for a kids school lunch. 



 If you do decide to give it a try, please send me your photos. I would love to see them. Email me at info@melonyteague.com

Here's to guilt free Mel's Maki Rolls.




Igor's comments:
I like sushi! Remember, rice isn't a problem for everyone... just for people who are very carbohydrate intolerant.

Seaweed is good stuff.  It contains LOTS of nutrients, especially iodine which is great for the thyroid if you're normal or hypothyroid. It is, however, not so good if you have a hyperthyroid.

1 comment:

  1. Lots of carbs aren't good for anyone, in my opinion. Wish they had seaweed in SA - curious to try it. Does it taste nice? I've never tried sushi before. I have to admit that I'm not that adventurous when it comes to raw foods.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments.