Thursday 10 January 2013

30 Day Challenge - how are we doing?


Day 9 and 10 - 30 Day Challenge (Part II)


Here is some feedback from Elisabeth from San Carlos Mexico.

She wrote:
 "Only 1 week in I have lost 3.3 pounds, feel better and I noticed I use less under eye concealer and foundation when doing my face in the morning. My husband remarked last night how good I looked and that my face was glowing. Eating clean(er) works! "

and Crystal from Regina wrote: 
"I had no caffeinated black tea, replaced with water, herbal and green teas

Speaking of water - went back to using my fancy goblet, and adding a splash of lime juice and I managed to increase my usual water intake by 1 glass (still need to work on it though)

I also exercised so I'm happy with my results so far."

Nine in Oregan wrote:
"I did well today, Reduced coffee to 1 1/2 cup. No sugar/white flour. Only grain eaten, bran. Lots of protein. Exercise, YES!"
Kristin from Detriot wrote:
"I am hanging in there with the challenge. So far, so good. Last night I wanted a sweet drink. It was a crazy craving. Could not quench my thirst and fruit didn't curb it. Still didn't have any. Stayed strong."


Participants are encouraged to TELL SOMEONE about what they are doing and many have done so via social media and by tell friends and family.Why? For the added accountability. It really does work. 

Today's homework was to encourage another participant on the challenge.


I saw this recipe for Thai Coconut Curry Soup  by Chef Micheal Smith and it looked so good that I wanted to have some, but I did not have all the fancy ingredients at home, so I sort of made my own version of it and it is more like an Indian Butter Chicken Coconut Curry Soup than a Thai one, which is fine because my husband does not care for the lemon grass flavor anyway. It was a hit, so delicious I could not get enough of it and FULL of veggies. 

If you would like to make this into a vegetarian version, just substitute vegetable broth and omit the chicken, and add some other sort of protein.

COCONUT CURRY TURKEY SOUP

 

Ingredients:

1-2 Tbsp Butter Chicken Marsala (Spice mix)
1 onion, sliced
2 Carrots, sliced
1 zucchini, sliced into noodles. (CLICK HERE TO SEE HOW)
Left over cooked chicken or Turkey
2 Cans Coconut milk
1 tsp Ground Turmeric
1tsp Ground Coriander
2 cloves Garlic, sliced
1 small knob of ginger root, chopped
2 Bay Leaves
1 - 2 tsp Curry Powder
1 Zest and juice of a lemon (you can also use lime)
2 Cups Organic, low sodium Chicken broth
1/4 cup raw cashews
1 tsp coconut oil for pan frying the onions.
1 sprinkle of Tamari sauce  (this is Gluten Free Soy Sauce)

METHOD:
  1. Melt coconut oil in pan on medium heat and add spices and onions. Cook until onions are translucent, add garlic, bay leaves, ginger and spices.
  2. Grate the zest of the lemon with a fine grater or zester and add to onion mix. Open one can of refrigerated coconut milk and scoop off the "cream" and add to the onion mixture and stir to combine as it melts. 
  3. Add the lemon or lime juice.
  4. Add the rest of the coconut milk and the chicken broth and stir to combine. Add the rest of the ingredients and heat through. Pour all of this into your crock pot and turn on to high and just leave it for 3 - 4 hours. If you would like a thicker soup, just remove the lid for the last hour or so to allow it to thicken up a little. 
  5. Note: you do not have to use the crock pot or slow cooker at all, but I found that way I did not have to watch over it and it was ready when I needed it to be. Also please note that the zucchini "noodles" take the place of rice noodles in this recipe.In this recipe you are adding food that is already hot to your slow cooker, so you will require less time to cook. I for this reason I opted to use cooked turkey in my recipe. If you so not have any cooked chicken or turkey, you can still use this method, just allow more time for cooking and lightly brown the chicken before adding to the soup.
Please note that I used whatever I had in my house, so if you have other vegetables, such as Bok Choy or peppers, then you can do so.


Enjoy!


I am so impressed with all the participants and how well they are doing, now if I could just get rid of this caffeine (coffee) withdrawal headache, I would be grateful. Hey it is Day 10 already, we are a third of the way through the challenge AND get ready folks, day 14 is weigh and measure day!


www.melonyteague.com 
To subscribe to my consolidated newsletter, Click here 
Melony Teague a freelance writer and columnist who lives in Canada with her husband and two young children.
Founder of "Secrets of Body Transformation from the Inside Out" 
Join me on facebook



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments.