Ingredients3 cups white spelt flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup Earth Balance margarine
2 cups Coconut Palm Sugar
1 cup egg whites and 2 whole eggs
1 lemon (rind and juice)
1 lime (rind and juice)
- Zest the lemon and lime and then juice them, set aside.
- Set oven to 325 Degrees F.
- Grease a 16 cup tube pan. ( I used an Angel food Cake pan) Dust with Spelt flour- bottom and sides. Tap out the excess.
- Sift the spelt, baking powder and salt together in a medium bowl and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer cream the margarine until it's light and fluffy.
- Add in the sifted coconut palm sugar and the chopped, pitted honey dates, beat for about 5 minutes.
- Add the egg whites and eggs in 1/4 cup increments until all added and make sure this is well mixed.
- Beat in the lemon and lime zest and juice.
- With a good rubber spatula add in the sifted dry ingredients until well mixed.
- Mix in the coconut cream.
- Pour batter into your prepared tube cake pan or Angel food pan.
- Bake for about 1 1/2 hours. It is done when a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Cool on wire rack and remove from pan, store in airtight container. Makes MANY slices.